<  Toy Chat  ~  Greetings from Arkansas!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:40 pm
Joined: Wed Mar 19, 2008 8:32 amPosts: 8Location: Ill Rock, AR
Hi everyone! I just wanted to introduce myself. I've been a member of the Kidrobot forums for a while and I've finally decided to create an account here for a change of latitude. :D

I mostly collect Dunnys, but my scope is expanding every week or so. As is my Detolf! lol

So, Hiya and have a nice day!

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 6:01 pm
User avatarRoto AdminJoined: Wed Dec 08, 2004 6:09 pmPosts: 7028Location: Chicago, IL
dojobug wrote:
Hi everyone! I just wanted to introduce myself. I've been a member of the Kidrobot forums for a while and I've finally decided to create an account here for a change of latitude. :D

I mostly collect Dunnys, but my scope is expanding every week or so. As is my Detolf! lol

So, Hiya and have a nice day!

Welcome! FYI...we lived in Little Rock for 2 years, and Whitney is originally from Malvern...so you're kinda like family. :p

Toy Wrangler/Gallery Director @ Rotofugi Designer Toy Store & Gallery > Chicago
http://rotofugi.com
Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 7:24 pm
rotokirby wrote:
Welcome! FYI...we lived in Little Rock for 2 years, and Whitney is originally from Malvern...so you're kinda like family. :p

Yeah, it's kinda small here. LOL
I've considered moving up to Chicago area a lot, seeing as though I'm a huge Cubs fan and have been since I was 9 and they started airing WGN here. :)

So thanks for the welcome mat!

Edit: I was looking around for where on this forum to ask you guys for advice... I want to begin collecting kaiju, but I don't really know much about it other than what appeals to me in an aesthetic sense... So would anyone please shed some light for me?

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:12 pm
User avatarRoto AdminJoined: Wed Dec 08, 2004 6:09 pmPosts: 7028Location: Chicago, IL
dojobug wrote:
rotokirby wrote:

Yeah, it's kinda small here. LOL
I've considered moving up to Chicago area a lot, seeing as though I'm a huge Cubs fan and have been since I was 9 and they started airing WGN here. :)

So thanks for the welcome mat!

Edit: I was looking around for where on this forum to ask you guys for advice... I want to begin collecting kaiju, but I don't really know much about it other than what appeals to me in an aesthetic sense... So would anyone please shed some light for me?

The Skullbrain Forums, run by the good folks at Super 7, are the best english language source for info on Kaiju although we're always more than willing to try to answer questions.

That being said, you already nailed it on the head, IMHO. Kaiju, to me, is primarily about finding what really pushes your buttons. Whether it's clear vinyl, or crazy paint jobs or what-have-you....just buy what excites you and you can't really go wrong.

Now I'm hungry for some Vino's!

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 7:59 am
Thanks for the advice. I pretty much knew what to expect though, because I've talked to collectors enough to know that anyone knowledgeable in the field is going to tell you "buy what you like."
LOL!
You live in Chi-town and still yourn for Vino's pizza?!
You made me hungry for it!

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 9:24 am
User avatarRoto ConsigliereRoto ConsigliereJoined: Fri Feb 10, 2006 11:12 amPosts: 1133Location: Germany
dojobug wrote:
Thanks for the advice. I pretty much knew what to expect though, because I've talked to collectors enough to know that anyone knowledgeable in the field is going to tell you "buy what you like."
LOL!

I was almost going to say that but then you already did it yourself.

Welcome to the forums, dojobug. Pull up a chair and enjoy the smell of vinyl and soft plushies.

;)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 10:04 am
dojobug wrote:
You live in Chi-town and still yourn for Vino's pizza?!
You made me hungry for it!

They make the best Margherita pizza I've ever had...plus I've never met a pizza I didn't like.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 9:55 pm
User avatarRoto FriendJoined: Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:55 pmPosts: 106Location: Bandung - West Java Indonesia
Hi Dojobug, nice to meet you to....

jouwe
www.jouwe.com
http://jouwetummytoys.wordpress.com
jouwetummy@gmail.com

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 8:08 pm
jouwe wrote:

Likewise! I must say I enjoyed seeing your work! Nice stuff!

Thank you all for the warm welcome.

I've been slammed in the face by something recently. For the first five months of my toy collecting adventure, I thought (as I know many collectors still think) that KR is _the_ premeir toy retailer, and it only made sense that the forum attached to their site would be where the upper eschilon of collectors would discuss and show their collections.

One of my friends from there showed me Rotofugi and I quickly learned that my initial assumptions were incorrect. Many of the collections I've seen on this forum would make the owners of the biggest collections on the KR forum cry like babies. Is the KR forum seen as a more "commercialized" venue? I only collected Dunnys and was happy with that until I first saw Roto. It opened my eyes to so much... It all just makes me want to be richer, so I could be just as broke! :P

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:49 am
User avatarRoto MafiaRoto MafiaJoined: Wed Jan 18, 2006 11:10 amPosts: 711Location: Buffalo
Welcome!

IMO, this is a much more cordial place to talk vinyl, art and miscellaneous crud. Enjoy!

Offline Profile