<  Toy Chat  ~  Turning my logo into a toy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 4:35 pm
User avatarRoto FriendJoined: Thu Aug 03, 2006 11:32 amPosts: 167Location: Fresno, CA
Been thinking about getting my logo Presston turned into a toy just about since the moment he was created (by Brian Taylor). Have looked into vinyl, resin, wood, metal, fiberglass, etc. all to no avail. Recently found out about this little joint up in Portland that makes plastic figures so I contacted them, and it turns out it's pretty reasonably priced. These are pics of the rough and cast masters. The final pieces will be made out of polyurethane, with the body being rotocast (hollow) and the legs and hat being injection molded.
He will be 4" tall, limited to 30 pieces, 20 light blue and 10 orange, unpainted (see last pic).
Here are some pics of the progress so far, which you can also follow on my blog:
http://letterpressed.blogspot.com/searc ... Industries

Original sculpt:

Original and rough cast master:

Cleaned up cast master:

Disassembled cast master:

A rough idea of what the orange could look like:

LP Blog
Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:53 am
User avatarJoined: Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:26 pmPosts: 45Location: Baltimore
I'm pretty sure I've seen your pieces before and their tight.
Are you talking about the same company that such worked with Grasshuts Scrappers? I haven't seen the piece but it sounds great. If that's what you are talking about I would love to hear some feedback.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:48 am
User avatarRoto FriendJoined: Thu Aug 03, 2006 11:32 amPosts: 167Location: Fresno, CA
Yeah, that's the place. I'm glad I checked it out after seeing the Scrapper's piece. It's nice to have an option other than resin, and I'm not knocking resin, and to have it here in the States. It's an affordable deal but you only get 30 pieces per mold, so it probably ends up being more per piece than say a larger run of resin figures would be. I have to figure that I probably wouldn't be able to sell a larger run anyway, so this is kind of a test to see how the figure does. I should be getting the cast master for final approval, and I'll be able to give more feedback then, but it looks awesome in the pics he's sent.

LP Blog
Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 7:35 pm
User avatarRoto HelperJoined: Tue Feb 15, 2005 12:34 amPosts: 157Location: chicago
Well, you have a lot to be excited about -- the prototype looks great!

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:24 pm
User avatarRoto JunkieJoined: Wed Jun 06, 2007 4:45 pmPosts: 259
Yeah, it's great. May I ask the name of the Portland company?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:42 am

LP Blog
Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 6:29 pm
User avatarJoined: Thu Dec 07, 2006 12:11 pmPosts: 46Location: The Smog
:shock:

The prototype looks great - I remember quite a while back when you
were trying to get a vinyl version made... something about a
'Night Vision' (?) in black...?

If you are making a small edition, I'd be tempted to keep them all
to the blue version...

... is it rude to ask how much they will be? :cool:

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:32 pm
Not rude at all, but pricing isn't totally nailed down. Ironically enough, doing a small letterpress header for such a short run adds a lot to the cost, but I'd rather do that than something digital. Probably in the range of $50-60. The cost per piece, plus the packaging, makes even a small run of 30 pretty pricey to produce. And really anything I make on these (which is NOT much) will go into the next edition.
Will probably do a full run of black ones to satisfy that Night Vision version, although it won't have GID eyes. Most likely each edition will be unpainted, simply to keep the costs down.
Here are new pics of the cast master I took myself:

The cast master is headed back to Arne Industries for final sanding and priming. They'll hopefully start casting them soon.
After a few of these (if the demand is high enough for that many), I may do our other logo Bert, created by 64 Colors:

LP Blog
Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:31 pm
User avatarRoto AdminJoined: Wed Dec 08, 2004 6:09 pmPosts: 7028Location: Chicago, IL
Looks great! And I love Bert. He looks like a pressman for sure!

Toy Wrangler/Gallery Director @ Rotofugi Designer Toy Store & Gallery > Chicago
http://rotofugi.com
Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 5:58 pm
User avatarRoto HelperJoined: Tue Feb 15, 2005 12:34 amPosts: 157Location: chicago
One of everything, plz

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:28 pm
:)

LP Blog
Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:43 pm
Things are moving along with this. As with any toy project there's been a few snags. I have received a batch of Presstons, but they will most likely remain my personal stash. One thing I have done is lowered the expected price to around $30. Here's some recent pics:

First test pulls:

First color tests:

Header card (by Candykiller) for blue version:

Orangey:

LP Blog
Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:35 pm
can't wait for these (would love a test pull too!)!!!

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 12:17 am
I don't even have a test pull!

Put a few up in the store today. If you miss out, there will be another batch in a few weeks or so.

http://letterpressed.bigcartel.com/

LP Blog
Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 1:46 pm
these look great, congrats! can't wait to get my hands on one of each :)

Offline Profile