<  Customs  ~  DIY Funny Club Figures...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 10:32 pm
User avatarRoto AdminJoined: Tue Dec 07, 2004 12:38 pmPosts: 635Location: East Village, Chicago
Wow Blank Funny Club DIY Figures for just $10.00.

OK, now there is no official B.B.Birdy contest or promotion going on with them. But, we are considering a forum contest that would be nuttin' but good times and fun prizes.

Have suggestions let us know.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 11:31 pm
User avatarRoto TormentorJoined: Mon Feb 14, 2005 11:29 pmPosts: 604Location: Southern WI
Hey, Whitney! Groovy to finally have your own forums. I don't have to slum at KR anymore! :-)

I'm very keen on a DIY Funny Club fig. The one I did for the Funnyclub show didn't turn out. Technical problem. The paint reacted badly with the resin cast. Blecchh!

You still gonna have these when I come down for the show, or should I order now?

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 11:39 pm
User avatarRoto AdminJoined: Tue Dec 07, 2004 12:38 pmPosts: 635Location: East Village, Chicago
zook wrote:
Hey, Whitney! Groovy to finally have your own forums. I don't have to slum at KR anymore! :-)

I'm very keen on a DIY Funny Club fig. The one I did for the Funnyclub show didn't turn out. Technical problem. The paint reacted badly with the resin cast. Blecchh!

You still gonna have these when I come down for the show, or should I order now?

Hmmmm... I don't even have them in stock yet. They should be here by the end of the week.. I think I should still have them by then, but if I am running low I will let you know and you can order them online for pick up and then get them when you are in town.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 11:48 pm
User avatarRoto TormentorJoined: Mon Feb 14, 2005 11:29 pmPosts: 604Location: Southern WI
rotowhitney wrote:
zook wrote:

Hmmmm... I don't even have them in stock yet. They should be here by the end of the week.. I think I should still have them by then, but if I am running low I will let you know and you can order them online for pick up and then get them when you are in town.

Savvy. Thank you dear.

I've not been putting new orders in lately cuz I'm trying to cull my expenses. Looking for a new apartment, new car...trying to get married.... Too many expenses. I'll be unloading a good chunk of change when we come down for the Funny Club show, though! WhooHooo!!

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 12:56 am
User avatarJoined: Tue Feb 15, 2005 12:24 amPosts: 13Location: Mill Valley, Ca.
Count me IN on buying a white blank.

I am trying to hone my painting skillz these days...

Next-stop: the Sharpie PAINT MARKER store...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 7:26 am
User avatarRoto MafiaRoto MafiaJoined: Tue Jul 10, 2007 12:44 amPosts: 974Location: Midwest Reppin' since '81
Lippy wrote:
Next-stop: the Sharpie PAINT MARKER store...

Word. I'm all over that! Them sharpies lookin' good. Can't wait to try 'em out...if I can ever remember to pick 'em up while I'm out.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 10:26 am
User avatarJoined: Mon Feb 14, 2005 11:54 pmPosts: 25Location: Salt Lake City
DIY Funny Club.....sounds like a plan. I'm intrigued by this "paint sharpie" that I've been hearing so much about.

Cheers,
transistor

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 11:14 am
User avatarRoto JunkieJoined: Tue Feb 15, 2005 10:53 amPosts: 330Location: in the land of taquerias and dollar stores, chicago, illinois.
I've been using the water based Sharpie paint markers, and I'm pretty impressed with them overall. The extra fine point is excellent for really small detail, and they give a pretty uniform look.

I also use Golden's liquid acrylics, (they come in small, reasonably-priced bottles - like eight dollars for the usually very expensive series 8 and 9 colors), and they're absolutely perfect for painting on to plastic/polymer clay. They come out incredibly smooth and matte. The tube paints, not so much.

:)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 3:45 am
User avatarJoined: Tue Feb 15, 2005 12:24 amPosts: 13Location: Mill Valley, Ca.
Elizabeth..

You've been using WATER-based Sharpies, huh?

I was about to buy the OIL-based ones... have you tried those? I bet they take longer to dry, but I wonder if they're more permanent...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 2:11 pm
User avatarRoto IdolJoined: Wed Feb 16, 2005 2:07 pmPosts: 286Location: KC
DO NOT GET THE OIL BASED ONES!!!!!

The chemicals that make up the paint don't play well with vinyl! Trust me... many a ruined toys litter my studio because of this.

I use the Poster Paint Sharpies on 80% of my customs. They are hands down my tool of choice for toy customs.

*Unless of course you need a special color.... then use acrylics.

Just my 2cents...

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 11:26 am
User avatarRoto JunkieJoined: Tue Feb 15, 2005 10:53 amPosts: 330Location: in the land of taquerias and dollar stores, chicago, illinois.
I've only ever used the oil based ones on walls, never on vinyl.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 12:41 pm
User avatarRoto MafiaRoto MafiaJoined: Tue Jul 10, 2007 12:44 amPosts: 974Location: Midwest Reppin' since '81
MAD wrote:
I use the Poster Paint Sharpies on 80% of my customs. They are hands down my tool of choice for toy customs.

Poster Paint Sharpies eh? Good to know, thanks!

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 3:07 pm
They're also super cheap, which is nice, and if you're quick enough, you can do some decent blending with a brush, but they do dry quickly.

They're a lot nicer on vinyl than on paper, I find.