<  Customs  ~  Question about detail work

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:18 am
User avatarJoined: Wed Jun 04, 2008 4:17 pmPosts: 41Location: Chicago
Just as a small update, I think I've got a solution. I haven't tested it out by actually painting yet (that's tonight's fun) but I did do some cutting, and I think it'll work. I cut up a cheapo squeeze bottle that had a similar curvature to it. This morning I cut out the face with an exacto, and I think it'll definitely look good. (crosses fingers)

I had the bright idea of cutting up a racquetball last night, and found out that racquetballs don't cut uniformly. They're kinda grainy and they chip before they cut. So you end up with a crackly looking cut.

Anyhoo, I just wanted to say hey to you guys and let you know that things are still in motion and I'm still workin'. I think eventually I will try the silicone fix, but I don't have any extra right now, and the store near me is out of it. So I decided not to just sit on my hands, and try some other things.

Have a good one!
Sean

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:37 am
User avatarRoto JunkieJoined: Wed Jun 06, 2007 4:45 pmPosts: 259
Can't wait to see what happens next. Nice to hear the wheels of progress are in motion.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:38 pm
User avatarRoto FriendJoined: Sun Mar 18, 2007 10:34 pmPosts: 90Location: chicago & detroit
hey, i wouldn't use oomoo for the stencil. it tears really really easy.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 1:35 pm
Thanks, I wasn't thinking oomoo for the stencil. I was thinking Rebound 25, which I think I'm going to buy a bit of to do a new master mold or three. Do you have any history with that? I assume, being platinum cure, it would have less incidence of tearing. Might be harder to cut as well, though, for that reason. In any case, I didn't get to paint last night either, because I had to run and help out with a wedding gift bag operation for a friend's wedding prep.

Maybe tonight.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:47 am
How is all this, then?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:21 pm
User avatarRoto FriendJoined: Sun Mar 18, 2007 10:34 pmPosts: 90Location: chicago & detroit
yeah! where's milo these days? ;)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 3:29 pm
Hey there, folks. Sorry. I've had some family stuff go down of late. All is well, just some changes. One of which is moving. I'm moving from Edgewater to Ukrainian Village, so I can be closer to the Rotos. hehe.

On the Milo front, I'm actually doing some website building right now, and slowly but surely making some stronger molds so I can stop pouring them one at a time. I ended up deciding to draw the faces by hand, because I just wasn't happy with the way the stencils were going spray painting them.

I'm also working hard on the book, and have a new character to share. He's the sun and I'm really happy with the way he's turning out in drawings. Here's one to share. Hope you like. (hmm. The image isn't working.) Not sure if that worked, but we'll see. If not, it's at the blog, just scroll down a bit. http://floatingonthebreeze.blogspot.com

Thanks for the interest, and I'm hoping that I'll have a good crop of Milos ready in about a month (need to get my stuff moved in first).

More to come, hopefully life cooperates.
Best,
Sean

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 1:53 pm
Nice to hear from you! Can't wait to see a Milo army. Painting the faces one by one is cool actually, and makes it more personal. Congratulations on the move.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 2:14 pm
Milo wrote:
...and slowly but surely making some stronger molds so I can stop pouring them one at a time.

if you get the time, i'd love to hear about this process. Are we talking like kinda like a muffin tin? (just not metal and not for muffins)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:08 am
Hey All!

Just wanted to drop in to tell everybody about a few updates on the Milo front. I've been busy moving in to my new place, and getting my office set up, so I haven't done as much as I'd like, but I HAVE been in touch with a couple molding companies, and I'm waiting for some quotes right now. I just feel so strongly about this thing that I'd really love to get it off the ground in a bigger way than I think I'll be able to do by myself using hand poured molding materials.

That said, I think I still will be doing some hand poured Milos for the upcoming holiday season, and I'm liking the way they're looking lately. You're right about it being kinda like a muffin tin, Euchalik. I had a really hilarious outcome a couple weeks ago when I was pouring one into a non-perfected mold. What I'd done was used Rebound-25 to make a mold of the Milo I was most happy with, and I got impatient. I did only two coats, and then I decided to pour in some plastic to see how it looked. I did a plaster wrap around the mold for strength, let that harden and then poured the plastic. HAHAHAHAHH It looked like Milo had been sat on by an alien with a lumpy bottom. The mold wasn't thick enough, and the bumps in the plaster housing were causing dimples in it. It was so gross looking, almost like a moldy cheese.

So, I added a couple more coats of Rebound-25, and made a new plaster housing, and it looks much better. So, that's one done. I'll do about three more of those, and then get to pouring some Milos. I'm actually thinking about doing a YouTube video about the process, because it's so much fun to do.

Life always steps in, and you have to adjust, and as usual, I have a couple concerts with rehearsals that take up too much time, but you have to eat, right? And you have to have money to make Milos, so I'm not worried. It'll come eventually. And I thank you guys for your interest, and I'll definitely keep you updated.

Take care, and enjoy your Halloween!
Best,
Sean

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 7:03 pm
User avatarRoto FriendJoined: Tue Jul 17, 2007 4:59 amPosts: 160
Any news on how this is coming along?

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 2:35 pm
SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!

Hey there everybody. I know that it's been ages, but I finally buckled down and bought myself some big-time, mass-quantity polymer, and I'll likely have about 80 Milo's done and up on the website by the end of June.

I'm pouring them about ten or fifteen a night this week, and then it'll take me a bit to draw the faces and get them clear-coated, and then fold some boxes, but I wanted to let people know that there IS movement, and they're going to come out.

Anybody know of a good printer in Chicago that will do cheap printing on box-material? Kinkos will do cardstock, but their cardstock is a bit thinner than I'd like to go. I'll do that if that's what I can do, but I'd like to see if people know of other options.

Also, if you haven't checked it out, please drop by the site and take a look at the Milo The Cloud Comic Strip, which I've been faithfully updating every Monday and Thursday since January. I'm starting to get some views and would love it if folks could pass it on if you enjoy it. Word of mouth is everything in these endeavors.

I'm going to be putting up some t-shirts as well and other merch once I get these Milo sculptures done. We're calling them Art instead of toys because of the new laws regarding testing of toys. So, stay tuned for Cloud Art very soon.

Best,
Sean

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:26 pm
update needed... =)