<  Customs  ~  first attempt to paint a munny.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 6:55 pm
User avatarJoined: Sun Apr 26, 2009 6:07 pmPosts: 14Location: Chicago, IL
i just picked up a mini munny mobile yesterday at the store. does anyone have any sage advice for painting a munny or links to any good tutorials? My first thought was to model out the figure in Maya and then take it into CS4 to do some test paint jobs, but another part of me is saying just free ball it and get my hands dirty. what do you think?

steve.

vimeo work
Steve's Digital (F)ARTS
Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 2:48 am
User avatarRoto AdminJoined: Wed Dec 08, 2004 6:09 pmPosts: 7028Location: Chicago, IL
I saw jump in there and get your hands dirty.

Maybe sketch out your idea in pencil first...then just go for it!

What type of media do you usually paint with?

You'll likely find acrylics to be the easiest to use on vinyl, but if you prime the figure with the appropriate base coat you can use almost anything.

Toy Wrangler/Gallery Director @ Rotofugi Designer Toy Store & Gallery > Chicago
http://rotofugi.com
Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:37 am
I have only recently attempted to start painting in acrylics and I am not too confident in my skills at doing so. I primarily work digitally on a tablet and was thinking using paint pens or sharpies. Would it be a good idea to put a coat of primer if I go this route? I have read conflicting views, some saying ALWAYS use primer, others saying special cases.

Thanks,
Steve

vimeo work
Steve's Digital (F)ARTS
Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 7:09 pm
User avatarRoto FriendJoined: Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:55 amPosts: 229Location: Your Heart
I'm a terrible painter, but I sadly attempted this once (sigh) for the Soopa cutsom show & priming it made a world of difference. I would say better safe than sorry.
;)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:23 am
So here is what I have come up with thus far. I am thinking that I will attempt the zombie, but not sure on the color treatment. Any thoughts or suggestions? I recently fell in love with recording work I do in photoshop and then speeding it up 10x and playing music to it. If you are bored and want to jump inside my head for a few mins I have a few videos up on my work blog. The link is below.

Steve.

Last edited by astronautchimp on Wed Apr 29, 2009 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vimeo work
Steve's Digital (F)ARTS
Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 5:18 pm
User avatarJoined: Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:26 pmPosts: 45Location: Baltimore
I'd vote purple and red

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 11:50 pm
I got around to starting work on the munny today. Was able to squeeze in a few coats of primer and rough in some details with a sharpie.

vimeo work
Steve's Digital (F)ARTS
Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:34 am
I think the brown and neon blue could look amazing. The brown if it had lots of texture and the blue would just give it that edge. Good luck with it, looking good so far :)

Offline Profile