<  Customs  ~  Question about detail work

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:19 am
User avatarJoined: Wed Jun 04, 2008 4:17 pmPosts: 41Location: Chicago
So, I was trying to do some painting last night on the new Milos and I came up with a big stumbling point. I want to do a bunch of these, and I don't want to have to do every face by hand and have them each look a bit different. I want some kind of uniformity. My solution was to buy some airbrush frisket and make a stencil.

Here's the problem with that. The face on Milo is so small and he's so curvy that 1). I have a hard time cutting out the details with any kind of precision and 2). when I stick the frisket on, it's not on a flat surface, so it moves around.

I'm wondering if I'll have to just bite the bullet and paint each face individually. Maybe you guys have some tried and true methods that come to mind given the problem. Here's the pic of the face done in Sharpie.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:32 am
User avatarRoto JunkieJoined: Wed Jun 06, 2007 4:45 pmPosts: 259
I wonder if there is a way to make a decal that you could print many copies of and then transfer to the happy li'l cloud.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:34 am
I guess that's possible. And if it was a decal, you could still do a clearcoat over top and have it sealed, right? I'll look into that.

(thinks back to 5th grade when doing decals on a Sopwith Camel model and ended up tearing every damn one of them)

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:16 pm
Think I just found the answer. I'm off on my lunch to the Utrecht art store to buy a rubber eraser. gonna make a stamp. I think this'll do it.

http://www.essortment.com/all/rubberstampmak_rlts.htm

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:24 pm
Which Utrecht? I'm off to lunch! Pollito's chicken!!!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 2:12 pm
I WAS gonna go to the one at Van Buren and Michigan, but I ended up going over to the Blick store on State instead. They have better selection (cause it's a mondo-huge store) and I get a discount there.

Picked up a few erasers (in case I screw up) and some delicate detail exacto blades. Off to the races!

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 2:32 pm
That's right by my work!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 3:29 pm
User avatarRoto FriendJoined: Sun Mar 18, 2007 10:34 pmPosts: 90Location: chicago & detroit
painting has always been hard with the plastic casts. if you don't clear coat it, it tends to rub or chip off. Well that is the case with the semi-flexible plastic that i've been using. my goal was always to have it be something that can be held/played with/abused like that of a real toy.

This may mean remolding/sculpting, so possibly for a later project. You can think about using krylon fusion, a spray paint for plastic. What I've learned is that if you spray into the mold, and cast straight into it, the paint adheres into the plastic and does not easily scratch off.

Now if somehow you could sculpt the model so that the face slightly indents or pushes out, you could paint these parts in the mold, then cast and they'd be in there forever.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 7:36 pm
So, if I'm hearing you right, you'd paint the eyes (we're talking about a new mold with indented eyes) and then you'd let those dry. Then you'd pour your white paint in (I'm saying this because the straight white cast is fine, but it doesn't weather well when handled) let THAT dry, then do your cast and the paint comes out with the cast?

Would you clearcoat that then?

Right now I'm just the slightest bit discouraged because I just tried cutting a stamp, and that turned out shite. So I hand painted one, and it looks fine from far, but far from great. Whell, it's back to the drawing board for a while I guess. Maybe I'll release these as v.1 and do a new mold with indentations. At the very least, indentations would make it MUCH easier to paint with a little speed.

The only thing about that is, that one of my intentions was to have these also be DIY-able, and allow people to paint on their own custom faces if they wanted.

It's all good. I'm just at one of those moments of pause in the road. Time to do some experimenting. God knows I've got enough pieces on which to experiment. lol

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:49 pm
User avatarRoto FriendJoined: Sun Mar 18, 2007 10:34 pmPosts: 90Location: chicago & detroit
Well i'd buy white pigment, and mix it with your plastic (part b) let it cure. add a lot of white.

I've only experimented with spraying the mold, and only did it for accents, it would be a test to do a solid area. (or maybe it will look cool to have it be a bit uneven...white on white)

but yes do the face, let it dry. then the body. then pour and let it cure. (make sure not to touch what you spray because nothing sticks to silicone except for uncured silicone.) Now you can spray a lot in a cup and use a brush to paint it on...you ruin the brush forever... but it could work...

The krylon fusion will bond its plastic properties straight to the top level of the casting plastic so you can dremel off any bad bits if needed.

It is all a fun experiment.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:57 pm
Roto ConsigliereRoto ConsigliereJoined: Thu Jul 27, 2006 7:36 pmPosts: 1284Location: Chicago, suburbs
Another suggestion, if you have the money, you could also look into a pad printer. :)

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 1:25 am
User avatarRoto AdminJoined: Wed Dec 08, 2004 6:09 pmPosts: 7028Location: Chicago, IL
If it were me, I'd make a mask of some type. Professional masks are often made of copper, but I don't know how easy that would be to do at home.

Depending on the type of plastic polymer you used you may want to look into getting some V-Color paint...it is specifically formulated to bond with vinyl (and may work on other plastics...I don't know).

Toy Wrangler/Gallery Director @ Rotofugi Designer Toy Store & Gallery > Chicago
http://rotofugi.com
Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 2:22 am
User avatarRoto ConsigliereRoto ConsigliereJoined: Fri Feb 10, 2006 11:12 amPosts: 1133Location: Germany
Here is something I've seen being done by someone who makes a lot of toys himself. I can't really remember the name though.

You could make a 3D dimensional stencil by applying a coat (I'm thinking 5 mm or a bit thicker) of silicone onto the final cast and then cutting out the desired shapes with an exacto knife. Afterwards you could apply the paint with a spray can. All This surely would need a bit of experimentation but could be the easiest and fast way for mass production.

[edit]
I've found it after a bit of thinking and digging:
It's Hiroshi Yoshii and here is a link to his blog where you can see what I was talking about: http://yoshii-blog.blogspot.com/2007/08 ... s-8-2.html and here is another shot if his stencils http://yoshii-blog.blogspot.com/2006/10/toys-9.html
[/edit]

;)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 10:36 am
all great suggestions. Thanks guys. I think I will probably do some experimentation. I don't have any silicone left at the moment, but I do have some fimo in my bag, and it looks like that's what Yoshii is using in his stencils. So I'll try that out first. Cut and then cook, and it'll probably be as strong and durable as I need for now. We'll see how it turns out.

Biggest setback in terms of getting materials at the moment is that you can't get spraypaint in Chicago city limits, so I have to drive out to Evanston or somesuch in order to get some. Lameness, Daley. Lameness. Because it's done so much to get rid of the graffiti.

[seen this morning on a garage door in my hood: "Alex and Molly had sex in this alley five munutes ago." and "Alex and Molly = Whores forever!"]

tres effective.
bon!

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 2:28 am
yeah i go visit home in michigan and buy my spray paint. its a bummer.