<  Other Announcements  ~  Confessions of a Designer Toy Store Owner

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 10:58 pm
User avatarRoto AdminJoined: Wed Dec 08, 2004 6:09 pmPosts: 7028Location: Chicago, IL
I've often thought that maybe I'd like to have a blog. A place to post random thoughts and whatnot. A place to ramble, pontificate and generally be boring, mainly for my own amusement. For whatever reason I haven't done it up until now.

Why not just post on the forums? Well, I really hope that the forums, some day, grow to be an even bigger community...not just my random thoughts and store info, but a real meeting place for all kinds of people that are into toys. We're off to a pretty good start on that with a core group of people who post regularly, but I can't help but think that the forums really don't need me to post more than I already do. I need a place to post other random stuff and even store stuff that isn't 100% final and official. Also, the forum structure, to me, isn't really a great place to develop longer thoughts which is really what I hope to use the new blog for...I guess we'll see if I can keep it up, but for now, I've got two blog posts under the belt and it feels good. Have a look if you want:

http://rotofugi.blogspot.com/

Right now I'm using Blogger because it's easy. I may move it to a blog system hosted on our own servers at some point... but for now I like the simplicity that Blogger gives and the fact that I don't have yet another piece of software to install, configure, skin and maintain.

Let me know your thoughts, either here or on the blog comments. Thanks!

Toy Wrangler/Gallery Director @ Rotofugi Designer Toy Store & Gallery > Chicago
http://rotofugi.com
Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 2:54 am
User avatarRoto ConsigliereRoto ConsigliereJoined: Fri Feb 10, 2006 11:12 amPosts: 1133Location: Germany
Welcome to teh blogosphere.

Attaboy is certainly a good start. I am - once again - envious that I won't be able to see the show.

One or two things about the blog: 1. In the title there is a "<br />" element. Might want to remove that one. 2. Also, I would like to be able to comment using my regular moniker and not my google account. 3. a Blogroll to your favourite artists?

;)

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 6:13 am
User avatarRoto ConsigliereRoto ConsigliereJoined: Sat Sep 09, 2006 2:49 pmPosts: 1006Location: chicago, il
looks great so far! i myself use blogger and it is probably the easiest thing for me :razz:

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 9:02 am
User avatarRoto JunkieJoined: Mon Nov 28, 2005 8:08 pmPosts: 385Location: Rotoland
Very nice! I've added it to my Google Reader which is pretty much my one source for new these days.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 9:48 am
User avatarRoto AdminJoined: Wed Dec 08, 2004 6:09 pmPosts: 7028Location: Chicago, IL
[ idle. ] wrote:
Welcome to teh blogosphere.

Attaboy is certainly a good start. I am - once again - envious that I won't be able to see the show.

One or two things about the blog: 1. In the title there is a "<br />" element. Might want to remove that one. 2. Also, I would like to be able to comment using my regular moniker and not my google account. 3. a Blogroll to your favourite artists?

;)

I took the break out of the title. I've already begun to see stuff about Blogger that I may not like...such as the inability to control how that title wraps on the page layout without html showing up in the titlebar for the site. Small price to pay for convenience, I guess.

I removed the necessity to have a google account to post comments. We'll see how that goes. I'm worried about getting comment spam, but I've got it set to be moderated anyway, so we'll just hope that works out.

Added a link list, not really a blogroll because a lot of our friends and artist contacts aren't really blogging per se. I'm sure I've left off a ton of people that should be on the link list, but I'll add to it over time...unless it gets too wieldy, then I might cut it down to a select group of just our closest allies in crime.

Toy Wrangler/Gallery Director @ Rotofugi Designer Toy Store & Gallery > Chicago
http://rotofugi.com
Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 7:23 pm
Roto ConsigliereRoto ConsigliereJoined: Mon Oct 03, 2005 3:51 pmPosts: 1678Location: NYC
Digging the posts kirby... keep it up :P

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 6:00 pm
diggin it.

silly pictures are always fun.

maybe some sort of a daily post with interaction between different toys in the store?

thatd be gnarly.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 2:13 pm
User avatarRoto JunkieJoined: Sat Feb 26, 2005 12:23 pmPosts: 446Location: Chicago
I like! I know what you mean about more web soft to install and configure / skin, but wordpress makes it pretty easy. If you decide later you want to go with Wordpress, let me know and I'm happy to help with some of the minor php tweaks to make fun things happen. Of course, there are plenty of nice skins out there, too, most of which are easy to install (most of the time just copying to your server and switching to them via the admin).

Shawnimals
http://www.shawnimals.com/
http://www.ninjatown.com/
http://www.professorisland.com/
http://www.plushform.com/
"I'm surrounded by fat spidermen" - M500
Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 3:47 pm
User avatarRoto FriendJoined: Tue Jan 09, 2007 1:46 pmPosts: 86Location: GoIll
This will be one of the greatest Urban Vinyl history books....no pressure though.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 6:54 pm
Roto ConsigliereRoto ConsigliereJoined: Mon Oct 03, 2005 3:51 pmPosts: 1678Location: NYC
Shawnimal wrote:
I like! I know what you mean about more web soft to install and configure / skin, but wordpress makes it pretty easy. If you decide later you want to go with Wordpress, let me know and I'm happy to help with some of the minor php tweaks to make fun things happen. Of course, there are plenty of nice skins out there, too, most of which are easy to install (most of the time just copying to your server and switching to them via the admin).

WordPress for life: MacThemes.net ;)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 6:32 am
User avatarRoto HelperJoined: Tue Feb 15, 2005 12:34 amPosts: 157Location: chicago
Shawnimal wrote:

Hear, hear! Everything Mr Smith said. I don't remember much about php, but I made an unreeeaaal transition from Moveable Type to Wordpress. Wild. Wordpress let me import all of my old blog entries, and that was incredible. I like Blogger, too, but Wordpress is similarly happy, flexible, and simple(-ish).

Anyway, I am all subscribed-up to your RSS feed. Sweet.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 7:08 am
User avatarRoto ConsigliereRoto ConsigliereJoined: Fri Feb 10, 2006 11:12 amPosts: 1133Location: Germany
jenn wrote:
Shawnimal wrote:

Hear, hear! Everything Mr Smith said. I don't remember much about php, but I made an unreeeaaal transition from Moveable Type to Wordpress. Wild. Wordpress let me import all of my old blog entries, and that was incredible. I like Blogger, too, but Wordpress is similarly happy, flexible, and simple(-ish).

Anyway, I am all subscribed-up to your RSS feed. Sweet.

+1 for wordpress. There ain't not better. Changing and making your own theme usually amounts to only working with XHTML and CSS sans PHP.

^_^