<  Other Announcements  ~  Kinda Quiet....

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:48 pm
User avatarRoto AdminJoined: Wed Dec 08, 2004 6:09 pmPosts: 7028Location: Chicago, IL
....I know it's partly due to it being summer, but I can't help but notice the forums have been even more quiet than normal lately.

Anyone have any suggestions for giving this baby a jump start? Any features or type of discussions you'd like to see that aren't happening?

I'm pretty open to ideas with one exception: no selling. I've seen too many forums go down the tubes because it turns into a place for people to do nothing but advertise what they are trying to get rid of or flip.

So...dear regular posters....what do you want to see?

Toy Wrangler/Gallery Director @ Rotofugi Designer Toy Store & Gallery > Chicago
http://rotofugi.com
Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 12:11 am
Roto ConsigliereRoto ConsigliereJoined: Thu Jul 27, 2006 7:36 pmPosts: 1284Location: Chicago, suburbs
Well, I've just made a new topic about my trip to Williamsburg, Virginia, which I came back from on Sunday. We went to Busch Gardens Europe while we we're there, really nice theme park. :)

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 2:42 am
User avatarRoto ConsigliereRoto ConsigliereJoined: Fri Feb 10, 2006 11:12 amPosts: 1133Location: Germany
Hmm,... A few of the earlier regular posters haven't been seen for quite a while like maz, Hello, Brute, etc (I guess they're just busy). All of them used to post some photos of their newest items and customs and stuff like that. So there was more talk about vinyl and related activities. I guess that posting on the other and bigger boards is more rewarding in terms of audience...

As for myself I have been rather busy lately and due to the lack of a job I haven't acquired anything new either.

My 2 cents anyways and I don't really have a good idea what to do about it either. :rolleyes2:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 4:49 am
User avatarRoto ConsigliereRoto ConsigliereJoined: Sat Nov 19, 2005 1:54 amPosts: 1886Location: Chicago
Live nude ladys!

Dyspeptic Ross Sparrow
Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 1:04 pm
User avatarRoto FriendJoined: Tue Feb 26, 2008 2:12 pmPosts: 132Location: Mid-West
I'm relatively new so maybe you have this ... but, I'd like to have a place that tracked upcoming toys coming out broken down by toy and artist. It's difficult to keep up on ones favorite so if there was a central reference point, I'd be on it all the time. There could be trade areas specific to the toy ... say the category is Dunny's ... new series coming out ... I have 4 of this version and would like to trade ... etc. Again, maybe this is here or you had it and deleted it. I'm thinking the information is more up front and requires less digging. When I go to the trades section, the info seems a bit vague unless you really know what you're looking for.

Additionally, a toy history section would be cool. So many great toys has come and gone. Everytime I ask you (Kirby) a question about a toy, the amount of info I get is amazing. That information adds value and interest to the toy I seek and additionally, may turn me on to another toy I never thought of. I would love to get my hands on a Bwana Spoons Killer for example. What's the story on this toy? Who has multiples and is willing to trade or dare I say sell. What I'm trying accomplish is having a central reference area (with picture) and toy info.

I just did a search for a Bwana Killer and got one bit of info but not something useful or specific with info.

I would love the toy history section but maybe that's boring to some ... just a thought. I imagine the labor involved in this type of area would be huge but worth it in the long run. So ... yeah ... a vinyl toy museum! Maybe someone has this ... if so let me know.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 2:07 pm
User avatarRoto FriendJoined: Tue Aug 08, 2006 4:58 pmPosts: 144Location: Avondale
roto 64 has a great point, and it seems that idea could add value to the site/store...a resource for collectors/fans. How about dedicated image galleries of toys? Search-able by artist, manufacturer, price, color...etc.? I know that may take a lot of work, but it may add traffic, if that's what your looking for. Or maybe this is something a forum member(s) would want to take on?

I admit I check your forums quite often, but mostly for the gallery news and news from local artists. I haven't been buying toys much, but I do appreciate the posts, and the almost uncanny courtesy found here.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 2:43 pm
User avatarRoto ConsigliereRoto ConsigliereJoined: Fri Feb 10, 2006 11:12 amPosts: 1133Location: Germany
I like the idea of a central reference point/virtual museum. What about a wiki? That way everyone could contribute. I know that the Whitney and Kirby are quite busy just managing their shop and gallery. And with a wiki we could also collect tips and tutorials on customization.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 2:58 pm
User avatarRoto FriendJoined: Tue Feb 26, 2008 2:12 pmPosts: 132Location: Mid-West
I like the Wiki concept ... how does one control that?
It's like a full time job to do it right but, I'd rather come to one spot as opposed to attempting to gather info from blogs and cryptic messages on forums.

I think it's about leveraging the collective knowledge base of Roto's clientele. Such a great resource. Tap into it!

Another thought is a place which introduces people to vinyl toys. A Vinyl Toy How To or Start up Kit. Maybe this would get a buzz going and attract new clientele.

A place where people know to come to and get info specific to the toy and what makes it cool or collectable. It's like an educational resource for the newbie. Simpler than a museum, but a great place to get toy education. This could also be applied to local artist. In addition to gallery showings, have a section devoted to new artist. Keep it simple. I never heard of Joey D but I'm now glad I did. This would be an extension of the gallery as you can only show so many artist a year and I'm sure some interesting people may be overlooked ... or not...

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 12:38 am
User avatarRoto AdminJoined: Wed Dec 08, 2004 6:09 pmPosts: 7028Location: Chicago, IL
I'd have to dig around to find it, but someone already tried to get a designer toy Wiki going.

Before we moved our online store we used to keep everything we had ever had in stock viewable on our online store in the "Gone" section. We decided not to continue that practice for a few reasons...the constant inquiries about "when are you going to get "x" (fill in ridiculously old toy here) back in stock?"....and the fact that it created a massive amount of overhead and slowed our store down.

I'd be glad to *help* keep some sort of database up-to-date, and of course am always available to answer questions if I know the answers, but to actually implement and fully maintain some sort of database with good info is beyond what we can handle. Heck, I have a hard time remembering what I've already ordered and have on the way! ;) :p

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 9:55 am
User avatarRoto ConsigliereRoto ConsigliereJoined: Fri Apr 21, 2006 9:07 pmPosts: 1035Location: Mundelein, IL
Need more drama. Deleted threads, banned users,..etc.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 2:13 pm
User avatarRoto FriendJoined: Tue Jul 17, 2007 4:59 amPosts: 160
Some artist forums could be cool. A few other boards like K.R. & Toy2R have them, but providing a forum with artists participation could be great!

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 2:16 pm
User avatarRoto FriendJoined: Tue Jul 17, 2007 4:59 amPosts: 160
Also: contests?

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 3:10 pm
User avatarRoto FriendJoined: Mon Mar 24, 2008 3:15 amPosts: 56Location: Mexico city
iccdp wrote:
Live nude ladys!

+1 lol

The contest sounds good too

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 6:58 pm
luvyatoo wrote:
Some artist forums could be cool. A few other boards like K.R. & Toy2R have them, but providing a forum with artists participation could be great!

I agree on this, but since our traffic is pretty low it's hard to entice artists to spend time on our forums. It's a chicken and egg scenario for sure.

It's funny, since I posted the original question it seems that our forums have picked back up a little. I do like that we have the most polite and helpful bunch of regular users so maybe I should just be content with that. If it meant tons of drama and hating on stuff for us to have *really* active forums I'm afraid I'd not be happy anyway, so I'm just going to count my blessings.

Contests sound like a good idea though....I'll put my thinking cap on.

Thanks for the input everyone!

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 6:39 pm
User avatarRoto MafiaRoto MafiaJoined: Tue Jul 10, 2007 12:44 amPosts: 974Location: Midwest Reppin' since '81
agitprop wrote:
Need more drama. Deleted threads, banned users,..etc.

I got that end covered.

"Chicago's Most Hated"

http://www.raventheorycollective.com
Offline Profile