<  In-Stock/Coming Soon  ~  In Stock: MadL Series One Restock

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 2:37 am
User avatarRoto AdminJoined: Wed Dec 08, 2004 6:09 pmPosts: 7028Location: Chicago, IL
We've re-stocked a few each of MadL Series One to hold us over until the new Series 2 come out...get 'em while you still can.

Billymon MadL: $14
http://rotofugi.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=RDTS&Product_Code=WHE-001a

DJ MadL: $14
http://rotofugi.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=RDTS&Product_Code=WHE-001b

Toy Wrangler/Gallery Director @ Rotofugi Designer Toy Store & Gallery > Chicago
http://rotofugi.com
Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 10:10 am
User avatarRoto TormentorJoined: Mon Feb 14, 2005 11:29 pmPosts: 604Location: Southern WI
Any idea when series two is supposed to hit? I needs me a Domimon!

Was surprised that the price on the series two went up so much. Perhpas series one didn't sell so well, hence the lower production run, hence the inflated price...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/zook360/
Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 2:02 am
Joined: Mon Feb 21, 2005 11:43 pmPosts: 22Location: NYC and Long Island
zook wrote:
Any idea when series two is supposed to hit? I needs me a Domimon!

Was surprised that the price on the series two went up so much. Perhpas series one didn't sell so well, hence the lower production run, hence the inflated price...

...i jsut thought that MAD*L's got popular and more sort after, thus pushing prices up with increased demand and it also could just be natural inflation, China is steadily getting more expensive for manufacturers to have their production done over there.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 8:01 am
User avatarRoto TormentorJoined: Mon Feb 14, 2005 11:29 pmPosts: 604Location: Southern WI
Series two are definitely, according to MAD, being produced in lower numbers, hence the increase in price. I'm just not sure why the lower numbers. Overproduction of series one? higher collectability for series two?

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 12:53 pm
User avatarRoto AdminJoined: Wed Dec 08, 2004 6:09 pmPosts: 7028Location: Chicago, IL
zook wrote:
Series two are definitely, according to MAD, being produced in lower numbers, hence the increase in price. I'm just not sure why the lower numbers. Overproduction of series one? higher collectability for series two?

This was addressed on another site's forums...here's what MAD had to say....

Quote:
The main reason is there were too many made in the first run, and Wheaty Wheat (the manufacturer) is sitting on the leftovers...

If it were up to me I would have kept the run size the same, but they're the ones paying for the product to be made. I personally fought for the higher run #'s, but in the end I'm not flipping the bill. All along I've strived to create a product at an affordable price.

There are only so many stores that carry these types of products, so once all the stores order them, what ever is left over justs sits in a warehouse...

There are also only a few collectors out there. How many BILLYMON's or DJ's did guys you buy? 1-2... When you step back and look at the amount of vinyl collectors, there really aren't that many out there. It's still a relativly new genre of toys.

Until this genre of toys really takes off, we've gotta be able to cover our costs to make them. Trust me, I've yet to see any $$ form these figures, and I still do it for the passion and love of the toys. I didn't get into this for the money, but the reality is it's still business. I'm hoping that people won't have too much of a problem payin $20 (as opposed to $15) a piece for them...

We are also going to be doing some store exclusives with NEW graphics!!! (not just variant colors) All these factors contribute to the bottom line of manufacturing costs.

I hope you guys can understand, and keep supporting the MAD*L brand. I'll keep working my a$$ off to make sure the products are the best they can be....

www.madtoydesign.com

and I thought this (by Vin from Myplasticheart) was another great explanation of the situation....

Quote:
I feel compelled to add to this conversation.

Check out this equation:

Scenario A
2000 MAD*L produced --> Money lost on unsold stock --> WW discontinues pieces due to lack of profit

Scenario B
900 MAD*L produced --> All stock sold --> Able to more quickly get out the next Phase --> Everyone happy except for those who were not able to purchase one (ebay!).

Overall it's for the best. Most pieces don't come out in 2000 piece runs (unless they're minifigures) because it's simply too hard to clear that many pieces. 900 is a very reasonable number considering a lot of companies come out with 500 - 300 piece runs. At this point in time, popular pieces that come out in 800-1000 piece runs can be cleared fairly easily by the manufacturers and still be available for a couple of months on the retail end.

Also, lower production numbers cause the prices of pieces to increase thus providing less wiggle room for the manufacturers and retailer to make a decent profit (more risk overall). So this is not about making a buck.

Hope that info was helpful

Toy Wrangler/Gallery Director @ Rotofugi Designer Toy Store & Gallery > Chicago
http://rotofugi.com
Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 10:38 pm
<Zook does the "I was right" dance>

:shock: But seriously...thanks for the re-posts, Kirby!

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 1:41 am
User avatarRoto IdolJoined: Wed Feb 16, 2005 2:07 pmPosts: 286Location: KC
i got nothing more to add....
*other than:

besides the 3 "Phase:2" designs, we've also got 4-5 exclusives lined up to come out as well. These will be ALL new graphics done for each store.

By doing the lower #'s it's actually allowing us to do more designs... so which would you rather have? (I know what I want!!!)

The higher cost is based on multiple factors. One being that plastic is geting more expensive... I think the MAD*L's are still priced lower than almost everything out there. (that's similar to size)

I hope you guys will continue to support the brand even though things have changed a bit.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 7:53 am
Will continue to support, but still not as a completeist. I'll snag me a Domimon and whatever exclusives trip my trigger. The other two designs just don't do it for me. I vowed when I started this sickness that I would never be a completist.

Keep up the great work, Mad. Looking forward to more from ya, mate.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 2:53 pm
User avatarRoto MafiaRoto MafiaJoined: Tue Jul 10, 2007 12:44 amPosts: 974Location: Midwest Reppin' since '81
...I stand corrected...But either way, You still Have my unwaivering support, MAD(series1 complete, awaiting series2 :) ). MAD*L are will still be affrodable, i think. As fan's we'll have to stay alert so we can get one when they do come out.

MAD, anychance, you might be coming thru NYC in the near future for a show or signing? possibly with the release of series2? :?

Offline Profile