<  Squibbles Ink + Rotofugi  ~  Squibbles Ink + Rotofugi Projects

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:37 pm
User avatarRoto AdminJoined: Wed Dec 08, 2004 6:09 pmPosts: 7028Location: Chicago, IL
Each one of our projects now has it's own development blog!

You can see a list of projects here.

Or go directly to each product blog via these links:

Ninjatown Micro Plush

Marshall Series 1

Tear Drips Series 1

The Lake Monsters

Roto-a-Matic

There's at least one previously un-announced project there....and even though The Lake Monsters project has been getting some attention lately, this is it's first official announcement as well.

There are a few more projects in the works that either aren't far enough along yet or are on themporary hiatus that don't have blogs yet...but as we progress forward we hope to continue to share information about what we are up to with a new development blog for each product. :)

Toy Wrangler/Gallery Director @ Rotofugi Designer Toy Store & Gallery > Chicago
http://rotofugi.com
Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:25 pm
User avatarJoined: Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:43 amPosts: 29
I'm curious to know why the newer Ninjatown are flatter than Series 1. The Series 1 I have are nice and plump. Then, I purchased some of the Stache duded and they were notably less full and therefore, flatter/wider.

This difference is most visibe w/ Shawnimals Zombie Ninja example here: http://www.shawnimals.com/news/29

I think it takes away some of the charm, just curious to know why the change was made.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:29 pm
User avatarRoto AdminJoined: Wed Dec 08, 2004 6:09 pmPosts: 7028Location: Chicago, IL
The new ones are wider, but also more plump...more stuffing. Photos can be tricky.

The factory that originally made the Series 1 Ninjatown Micro Plush is no longer in business. The factory that made the Macho versions also went out of business. So we're on our third factory. That accounts for some of the variability, but for the most part the changes are to make the art more closely match the original designs by Shawnimals.

The change from plastic eyes to embroidered is a perfect example of that (as is the slightly wider / plumper body). Moving to an all-embroidered production made it possible to do things like "happy" or "content" eyes and not just plastic round eyes.

I know that change is difficult, but I think you'll be happy when you get one of the new guys in hand. I personally think they changes are big improvements.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:04 am
User avatarJoined: Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:43 amPosts: 29
Thanks for the explanation. I will def. be getting Series 2 but I'm on the fence about 1.5 since I already have all of those characters from S1. They are noticeably different...I might give in haha.

I'm glad that you guys found other factories to work with when those others closed down. I recently spoke to Horvath and something he had a prototype never made it to production because that business closed--sucks.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:23 pm
User avatarRoto FriendJoined: Thu Aug 03, 2006 11:32 amPosts: 167Location: Fresno, CA
That Roto-A-Matic thing sounds rad. I do not remember those mold making gizmos at all. Maybe it's a Mid-West thing?

LP Blog
Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:46 pm
Lttr Prssd wrote:
That Roto-A-Matic thing sounds rad. I do not remember those mold making gizmos at all. Maybe it's a Mid-West thing?

They are now primarily in the Midwest (primarily Chicago and various parts of Wisconsin and Michigan) and Florida (in the touristy areas). They used to be somewhat prevalent in southern California (mostly in the LA area) but the gentleman that was operating the machines retired and sold his machines. Disney at one time had Mold-a-Rama machines in their parks.

These days they are largely in museums and zoos, making animals or locomotives and stuff. We intend to make things that are way cooler (that's not to say the current molds aren't cool as s**t, because they are).

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:19 am
User avatarRoto FriendJoined: Thu Aug 03, 2006 11:32 amPosts: 167Location: Fresno, CA
I do think I remember them at Disneyland or possibly the San Diego Zoo.
Will people be able to order the ones you guys make, or will we have to fly to Chicago? :)

LP Blog
Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 8:05 am
User avatarRoto ConsigliereRoto ConsigliereJoined: Fri Feb 10, 2006 11:12 amPosts: 1133Location: Germany
Everything's awesome but the Mold-O-Ramas are more than that.

8)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:13 pm
Lttr Prssd wrote:
I do think I remember them at Disneyland or possibly the San Diego Zoo.
Will people be able to order the ones you guys make, or will we have to fly to Chicago? :)

We'll sell pre-made Roto-a-Matic figures online...just haven't figured out how to duplicate the experience yet.

idle. wrote:
Everything's awesome but the Mold-O-Ramas are more than that.

Exciting times indeed! Although it should be noted that while the machine we are using is a vintage Mold-a-Rama machine, technically we'll be selling Roto-a-Matic figures since we don't hold the trademark to the Mold-a-Rama name. ;)

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:57 am
User avatarJoined: Fri Aug 15, 2008 5:28 pmPosts: 29
Awww...Marshall is so cute :-D. I can't wait to do a custom of that lil cutey pie.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:16 pm
He is indeed sickeningly cute...

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 6:04 pm
User avatarRoto JunkieJoined: Wed Jun 06, 2007 4:45 pmPosts: 259
All of these projects are so exciting. I'm especially psyched over Roto-a-matic. Marshall looks great! Wish I had more dough to sling.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:05 pm
Just got an update on Roto-a-Matic today....but I can't share just yet. :p

I will say this....this project is going to RULE. HARD.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 5:27 pm
User avatarJoined: Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:26 pmPosts: 45Location: Baltimore
Any updates on these projects? I've been watching the blogs for updates but haven't seen anything updates lately. I want to make sure I have some room in my budget when they release.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 1:09 pm
theraker wrote:
Any updates on these projects? I've been watching the blogs for updates but haven't seen anything updates lately. I want to make sure I have some room in my budget when they release.

We'll have announcements on three of the projects (Tear Drips, Marshall and Lake Monsters) very soon. :)

Offline Profile