<  Rotofugi Gallery  ~  Past Shows: Choking Hazard!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 2:00 pm
User avatarRoto JunkieJoined: Mon Feb 14, 2005 8:09 pmPosts: 378Location: SFO
rotofugi does it again.
:TCIMH-SmileRoto:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 3:22 pm
This is my kind of show.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 6:56 am
User avatarRoto DorkJoined: Tue Feb 15, 2005 8:05 pmPosts: 165Location: tampa / chicago
OK... here's some old school Chicago band stuff for you...

There used to be this Chicago band called Jack Scratch in the late 80's early 90's. Punk rock with some good rock influence. Dave, who used to work at Wax Trax records when it was on Lincoln ave. and Earl (ex- Effigies) on guitar. Both of em used to work at the old EXIT on Wells...

ahh... memories...

Anyway, they had PIZZ do the artwork for one of their singles, (the name of which escapes me right now) but it was an amazing piece. A B-19 bomber on it.... crap blowing up, etc.... awesome stuff.

Dig up one of those 45's and bring it to the show.
I'm sure PIZZ would get a kick outta that.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 1:17 pm
User avatarRoto ConsigliereRoto ConsigliereJoined: Sat Nov 19, 2005 1:54 amPosts: 1886Location: Chicago
Dosn't Earl own a own a Gym somewhere in the city?

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 3:16 pm
User avatarRoto AdminJoined: Wed Dec 08, 2004 6:09 pmPosts: 7028Location: Chicago, IL
robschwager wrote:
OK... here's some old school Chicago band stuff for you...

Anyway, they had PIZZ do the artwork for one of their singles, (the name of which escapes me right now) but it was an amazing piece. A B-19 bomber on it.... crap blowing up, etc.... awesome stuff.

Dig up one of those 45's and bring it to the show.
I'm sure PIZZ would get a kick outta that.

there's something in the air 7"
Alas, no image. :(

Toy Wrangler/Gallery Director @ Rotofugi Designer Toy Store & Gallery > Chicago
http://rotofugi.com
Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 3:29 pm
User avatarRoto ConsigliereRoto ConsigliereJoined: Sat Nov 19, 2005 1:54 amPosts: 1886Location: Chicago

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 4:15 pm
User avatarRoto AdminJoined: Wed Dec 08, 2004 6:09 pmPosts: 7028Location: Chicago, IL
Ask and you shall receive.

That looks nuts.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 8:46 pm
User avatarRoto DorkJoined: Tue Feb 15, 2005 8:05 pmPosts: 165Location: tampa / chicago
Earl lives in Phoenix now.

...and yep, that's the art for the 45.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 11:47 pm
Yeah I remember him talking about going to Jerome, Az.I think he had family there.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:12 am
User avatarRoto Capo di VinyliRoto Capo di VinyliJoined: Wed Feb 16, 2005 5:02 pmPosts: 2348Location: GRεεKTΘωN
I bet that record is somewhere in one of my ex-girfriends box of records right now, getting scratched to oblivian by her kids...

M500

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 2:26 am
User avatarRoto FriendJoined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:04 amPosts: 121Location: Chicago,IL
well arizona is awesome!....this show seems like its gonna be real weird and different..in a good way...im excited!

**AP

"SKULLIONS"
Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 12:02 pm
Joined: Fri Mar 03, 2006 11:48 amPosts: 3Location: Brooklyn
This show is going to rock. Have to get my Chi-Town connection to hit it up for me. :lol: :lolo:

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 12:30 pm
User avatarRoto FriendJoined: Wed Nov 16, 2005 7:36 pmPosts: 79Location: San Francisco
I am starting to envy the local rotofugians. This will be a great show.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 4:19 am
These photos have been on Vinyl Pulse and Plastic and Plush for about a week now, but just in case you haven't seen them, here's a couple bigger ones....

Plus...here's the front and back of the flyer that's circulating around Chicago (and in boxes mailed the last week or so out of Rotofugi)...

The opening is a week from this coming Friday...hope to see lots of smiling forums peeps in the house!

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 4:33 am
For those that may not be all that familiar with The Pizz here's a biography...basically The Pizz has done it all...and with style!

---

The Lord of Lowbrow, The Pizz

The Pizz has been around forever, it seems. You know his work when you see it: expressive paintings, hot rod art, Hustler Honeys, tiki bar art and the like.

Eschewing much of the limelight and glitzy marketing of many of his notable contemporaries, Pizz prefers to let his art speak for itself all the while staying true to his underground roots. All the while his art speaks volumes as he launches into various discourses and impromptu lectures on the state of the lowbrow nation.

You can discern Pizz's tendency away from the status quo if you plug into some of his influences: Mad Comics, Zap Comics, loads of cartoons, but especially Tex Avery, choppers, bobbers, hotrods, black light
posters, The Cramps, Black Sabbath, Foetus, The Stooges, Big Daddy Roth and Robert Williams. His art is not easily pigeon-holed (well, except for his obviously self-referential "Pizz Paintings"). His legend only
grows as he continues to produce new artwork, most recently showing a new batch of paintings deemed "his best work yet" at the infamous La Luz de Jesus Gallery in Hollywood, CA.

If "Big Daddy" Ed Roth was the God of Lowbrow, Pizz is certainly the Lord of the movement. Original and creative, he leads by example with deft brushwork, luminous overlay of color and a keen artistic sensibility, conferring his message to his disciples like the second coming. Name a contemporary "lowbrow" artist who doesn't revere The Pizz as one of his major influences. Go ahead, we dare you.

Known primarily as a painter, The Pizz has always explored other artistic avenues including magazine illustration, commercial design for television and computer animation. He's been a featured designer on TV for the Discovery Channel's Monster Garage three times, art director for various TV commercials with credits fot Peugot, Sony Playstation, Carl's Jr. restaurants and Tampax (!) He has published tons of illustrations in Hustler Magazine, Surfer magazine. Snowboarder, The Surfer's Journal, The Rodders Journal, Barely Legal, Taboo and others
too obscure. He was notorious a few years ago as the mastermind behind the "Murderers!" trading cards which ended up gaining Pizz the attention of such media outlets as CNN and the somewhat dubious honor of being banned in all of Canada.

As a commercial artist The Pizz has designed a multitude of album covers for the legendary weirdo vinyl-pushers Sympathy for the Record Industry including designs for Bad Religion, L7, Hole and numerous
others too fringe-market to take up space here. His designs have graced books, comics, tattoo flash sets, t-shirts, the team mascot for a Japanese major league basketball team, inumerable skateboards, surfboards, outlandish car-concept designs for television commercials and movies, apparal, fast food joints, watches, murals and banners, tikibar glasses and mugs...in short, anything under the sun...and more.

Back in the day, he shifted into overdrive with high octane designs for Big Daddy Roth studios, known for his"Rat Fink" character. Although the work was signed by Roth as all his famous 60's designs done by other artists, Big Daddy allowed Pizz to tag his distinctive zig-zag signature within the art itself as a gesture of mutual respect.

Bio by G.Benzler

Offline Profile