<  Rotofugi Gallery  ~  TeddyTroopCustomQuestion

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 9:06 pm
Roto FriendJoined: Fri Feb 18, 2005 6:04 amPosts: 102Location: gundO, cali
hi all......
im getting ready to do a Teddy Troop custom for our upcoming show at Roto, and i have a question for you insane artists that did all those killer Teddys for the Invasion show.......im running out of time, and dont have a lot of room to experiment, so any help, would be much appreciated!
i notice the helmet is a SNUG fit.......almost too snug, for something that is to be customized. i am designing a simple thing here, and removing the helmet is something i would like the perspective owner to have as an option.......but am worried about the wear and tear of taking it on and off.
i was wondering if any of you have tips (successful ones) in making this a helmet that slips on and off without as much rub, thus damaging paint.
i have thought the obvious........dremeling out some of the lip of the helmet.....maybe putting a little felt on the inside.....etc....
but id love to hear what you vets may have done, that proved to be a successful alteration.

hope to hear some feedback from you, and thank you bigtime in advance!
miQ

ps........that show killed, btw.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 3:00 am
User avatarRoto ConsigliereRoto ConsigliereJoined: Sun Dec 05, 2004 4:05 pmPosts: 1055Location: chicago
im not sure what the other fellas did, but i did LOTS of sanding/shaving to the inside of the helmet. then i added a piece of felt or velcro, i forget, all around the parts that made a lot of contact so the contact with the head and the helmet wasnt harsh.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 9:09 am
thank you Peabe........as i said, pretty obvious what path to take, but was looking for some experienced wisdom of the matter........and you have provided that!

alright.......gonna start sanding.......im so sick of sanding......

thnx Peabe!
miQ

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 12:40 pm
User avatarRoto ConsigliereRoto ConsigliereJoined: Sun Dec 05, 2004 4:05 pmPosts: 1055Location: chicago
good deal. cant wait to see it!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 12:54 pm
User avatarRoto MafiaRoto MafiaJoined: Wed Jul 13, 2005 11:18 amPosts: 538Location: Shitcago
yeah... i did alot of carving out inside the helmet with utility and Xacto knives.
kept doing it little by little until it wasn't so rediculous.

I didn't use felt... just be careful taking the helmet on and off.
make sure to put it on angled towards the front not straight up and down.

good luck! post pictures when you are done.

Heaving Mass - Bass
Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 2:43 pm
User avatarRoto ConsigliereRoto ConsigliereJoined: Fri Feb 10, 2006 11:12 amPosts: 1133Location: Germany
I took ofo the cranium of my trooper with an exacto knife, then cut off his ears and after that glued everything back together... Oh, wait, that's not answering your question.

Just felt like posting a bit of off topic silliness. Can't hardly wait to see the pictures of the show.

Last edited by [ idle. ] on Sat Aug 19, 2006 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 2:48 pm
User avatarRoto AdminJoined: Wed Dec 08, 2004 6:09 pmPosts: 7028Location: Chicago, IL
The bad news, I'm afraid, is that no matter how well you sand it down, taking the helmet on and off is likely to cause damage.

We had one that, when we removed the helmet after the show was over, the varnish on the bear under the helmet had liquified. It was weird.

The ones that seemed to work best employed a combination of removing A LOT of the helmet interior by cutting or sanding (dremel!) and then used a matte varnish (which seems less likely to be sticky in my humble experience)....

Can't wait to see what you do MiQ!

Toy Wrangler/Gallery Director @ Rotofugi Designer Toy Store & Gallery > Chicago
http://rotofugi.com
Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 4:54 pm
User avatarRoto HelperJoined: Fri Jul 22, 2005 9:03 pmPosts: 81Location: Chicago
Yup,
I too used an Xacto and carved the hole inside lip out. Then used strips of felt to cover the intire inside of the helmet. It seemed to work great. No Rubbin' Scratchin' or any problems except the super 70 I used stuck felt fuzz to my fingers for weeks.

P.S. its still up for grabs at a reduced price... I think?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 5:20 pm
thank you all huge on this..........i figured it would just be another excuse to dremel away vinyl, which is a sick pleasure of mine, so i will gladly abidge.

good to hear i didnt get defect TT!.......seems we all had this little problem.

thnx again guys!
miQ

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 3:05 pm
User avatarRoto MafiaRoto MafiaJoined: Tue Jul 10, 2007 12:44 amPosts: 974Location: Midwest Reppin' since '81
I put six coats of acrylic clearcoat on the inside of the helmet as well as the bear itself. Mine came out fairly well-I did the Ebola-Bear.

http://www.raventheorycollective.com
Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 5:07 pm
User avatarJoined: Fri Feb 24, 2006 9:55 amPosts: 16Location: chicago
i got some sticky-backed felt, which was really thin, and it seemed to do well. but i think some fit more snugly than others, too.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 11:10 pm
User avatarJoined: Thu Oct 12, 2006 6:16 pmPosts: 39Location: Chicago
Just sand the f*#! out of it. Thats what I did. I used 80 grit sand paper. If you use any mediums or finish on the inside you run the risk of it sticking to your paint. Acylics like eachother, so when they get together they do bad things....

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 2:09 am
User avatarJoined: Sat Jan 20, 2007 5:12 pmPosts: 30Location: Nu Yawk
i did a trooper around christmas to sell at toyqube and the whole head became wet paint again inside the helmut, i wiped off allllllll 4 or 5 layers with my fingertip...only god knows why thou :(

Offline Profile