<  Other Announcements  ~  Web Store Down (FIXED - Back in Bidness)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 1:29 am
User avatarRoto AdminJoined: Wed Dec 08, 2004 6:09 pmPosts: 7028Location: Chicago, IL
Alright, everything's working again....sorry for the downtime and thanks for the input!

---

Looks like our online store is down....support at our ISP has been contacted and we'll hopefully be satisfying your toy-buying needs again very soon.

We apologize for the inconvenience.

Best,
Kirby

PS...anyone here know the pros/cons of moving to a dedicated server? We are currently in a managed hosting shared server scenario and I can't help but think that things might be better if we just ponied up the cash for a dedicated server somewhere. So far, the cost of doing so (something like 6x what we pay now) has stopped me from doing it, but I'm tired of losing our store (or entire site) for a few hours once a month. What I don't know is whether or not moving to a dedicated server would even fix that problem. Any serious pros out there with an opinion? Thotfulspot?

Last edited by rotokirby on Mon Jun 26, 2006 11:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Toy Wrangler/Gallery Director @ Rotofugi Designer Toy Store & Gallery > Chicago
http://rotofugi.com
Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 7:45 am
User avatarRoto FriendJoined: Wed Apr 26, 2006 8:50 amPosts: 97Location: Chicago
i dont know much about this stuff either but i have a friend who does some major hosting her in chicago. Let me know if you want his info.

Private Business :D

Last edited by dizzy8080 on Mon Jun 26, 2006 11:40 am, edited 2 times in total.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 9:02 am
User avatarRoto JunkieJoined: Mon Nov 28, 2005 8:08 pmPosts: 385Location: Rotoland
rotokirby wrote:
Looks like our online store is down....support at our ISP has been contacted and we'll hopefully be satisfying your toy-buying needs again very soon.

We apologize for the inconvenience.

Best,
Kirby

PS...anyone here know the pros/cons of moving to a dedicated server? We are currently in a managed hosting shared server scenario and I can't help but think that things might be better if we just ponied up the cash for a dedicated server somewhere. So far, the cost of doing so (something like 6x what we pay now) has stopped me from doing it, but I'm tired of losing our store (or entire site) for a few hours once a month. What I don't know is whether or not moving to a dedicated server would even fix that problem. Any serious pros out there with an opinion? Thotfulspot?

It all depends on the reasons for the downtime. Is it Rotofugi that is experiencing the issues? Script kiddies hitting Rotofugi and brining it down? Or are other sites hosted in the same rack having issues take down Rotofugi with it?

There still is a good chance you will get downtime even with a dedicated server. Whomever you decide to host must have 24/7 support and a really good SLA. You also need to make sure someone is doing regular maintenance especially security patches. I've used RackSpace with pretty good success. You really get what you pay for with server hosting.

Let me know if you have more questions. I've probably dealt with most of them when it comes to hosting.

Ron

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 9:45 am
User avatarRoto ConsigliereRoto ConsigliereJoined: Fri Feb 10, 2006 11:12 amPosts: 1133Location: Germany
I don't know if it helps, but I can share good experiences with dreamhost as a provider. I've had a major downtime the last weekend, but that was the only one I noticed since I've been a customer (it's been almost two years). The one fact I do enjoy the most is that they're trying to be really transparent about the ins and outs of their company by keeping a blog about issues, problems or other things.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 10:00 am
User avatarRoto AdminJoined: Wed Dec 08, 2004 6:09 pmPosts: 7028Location: Chicago, IL
[ idle. ] wrote:
I don't know if it helps, but I can share good experiences with dreamhost as a provider. I've had a major downtime the last weekend, but that was the only one I noticed since I've been a customer (it's been almost two years). The one fact I do enjoy the most is that they're trying to be really transparent about the ins and outs of their company by keeping a blog about issues, problems or other things.

Well, I've tried to be as quiet as possible about who our host is so it didn't seem like I was slinging mud, but the host in question is indeed Dreamhost. I've been very happy with their support team over the last two years, but I also seem to continually need support for issues that I didn't create. DOS attacks, power outages, blocked mail relays, hardware failures, misconfigurations, and so on are almost always fixed or addressed quickly, but they still happen with too much frequency for my taste.

Our store software got screwed up somehow (and not by any change that I've done) and it's now going on 8.5 hours since I submitted a support request and it's still messed up. I'm afraid it's time that I move on to another provider because, despite their best intentions, this is losing me money and customers.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 10:26 am
User avatarRoto JunkieJoined: Sun Jul 31, 2005 11:01 pmPosts: 321Location: tampa, fl
a lot of us artist types use media temple. rarely is any MT site ever down. maybe check them out. as for a shared vs dedicated host. I've used shared for everything I have done. I can't tell the difference.

http://virb.com/owlmovement
http://myspace.com/owlmovement
http://flickr.com/photos/owlmovement
Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 11:05 am
User avatarRoto ConsigliereRoto ConsigliereJoined: Tue Feb 15, 2005 11:18 amPosts: 1757Location: ooo000ooo.com
owlmovement wrote:
a lot of us artist types use media temple. rarely is any MT site ever down. maybe check them out. as for a shared vs dedicated host. I've used shared for everything I have done. I can't tell the difference.

yep -- MT is the king...

I've used them for years with only one outage that I can recall. I recommend them to all of my clients. Top Notch. MT's tech support & site reporting is amazing as well.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 11:32 am
Roto FriendJoined: Tue Jun 13, 2006 3:29 pmPosts: 86Location: Oregon
I've had great luck with hostrocket.com I've been using them for 4+ years, their customer service is always fast to respond, and I've never received an automated response from them. I've never seen my site down once over the 4 years I've been with them. They're real cheap too. 5GB space and unlimited bandwidth.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 11:38 am
User avatarRoto JunkieJoined: Mon Nov 28, 2005 8:08 pmPosts: 385Location: Rotoland
For people posting their preferred hosting services, it would probably be helpful to Kirby if you said wether it was for personal, static business, or ecommerce. Hosting something like to Roto store or forums adds a lot of complexity to the hosting process. There are many good hosts out there, but Kirby needs to find one on which he can reliably run his business.

Ron

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 12:08 pm
thotfulspot wrote:
For people posting their preferred hosting services, it would probably be helpful to Kirby if you said wether it was for personal, static business, or ecommerce. Hosting something like to Roto store or forums adds a lot of complexity to the hosting process. There are many good hosts out there, but Kirby needs to find one on which he can reliably run his business.

Ron

Word UP! I've looked at both Media Temple and Rackspace this morning and both look like viable options right now. Rackspace doesn't quote any prices on their site which, believe it or not, makes me want to use them even more...at this point I'm not overly concerned with price (although it obviously does matter) but more on the most reliable service we can get...I'll probably contact Rackspace and see how their rates compare to MT and go from there.

Everyone else, THANK YOU for your suggestions and if you've got more, I'm all ears.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 12:27 pm
Hope I didn't sound too much like a suit there, but I am wearing one today. :TCIMH-SmileRoto:

The last time I set up with Rackspace I did most of it via their chat functions. They are pretty negotiable on their prices also. It's been a fews years since I talked with them. They were pretty heavy on the Windows side with some Red Hat as an alternative. I know there are some Apple centric hosts if that's the direction you want to go.

The only complaint I've had with RackSpace is with some of their maintenance stuff. When we first set up our servers we had a couple of admin type people helping us out. After they left the security patches didn't go on as quickly as I would have liked. It was probably as much our fault as theirs. Make sure you have that stuff spelled out in your contract.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 11:42 pm
Alright, everything's working again....sorry for the downtime and thanks for the input! I'm going to do some research now and see just how big of a pain it is going to be to move everything to a new host so this won't happen again.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 12:14 am
User avatarRoto JunkieJoined: Sun Jul 31, 2005 11:01 pmPosts: 321Location: tampa, fl
welcome back! now I can oogle again.

http://virb.com/owlmovement
http://myspace.com/owlmovement
http://flickr.com/photos/owlmovement
Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 7:15 am
Roto ConsigliereRoto ConsigliereJoined: Mon Oct 03, 2005 3:51 pmPosts: 1678Location: NYC
Cool glad the server is working again.. it was off for a while last night

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 11:00 am
User avatarRoto FriendJoined: Mon Nov 28, 2005 12:31 pmPosts: 136
stuff like this doesnt bother me...but the whole 'DEBUG' mode over at the other board...wow makes me want to shoot myself.

glad the store is back up!