<  Everything Else  ~  January Weather (Chicago)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:40 pm
User avatarJoined: Wed Apr 11, 2007 5:46 pmPosts: 23Location: Atlanta, GA
Hi,

I am thinking about traveling to Chicago (by car, from Atlanta) around mid January, and am wondering how bad the weather is, and whether it's worth the risk and cold. Any help from some locals would be much appreciated. :D

Autodactyl

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:56 am
User avatarRoto ConsigliereRoto ConsigliereJoined: Sat Nov 19, 2005 1:54 amPosts: 1886Location: Chicago
Bring layers.

Dyspeptic Ross Sparrow
Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 5:00 pm
User avatarRoto ConsigliereRoto ConsigliereJoined: Sun Dec 05, 2004 4:05 pmPosts: 1055Location: chicago
walking into hell.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 6:49 pm
User avatarRoto ConsigliereRoto ConsigliereJoined: Sat Sep 09, 2006 2:49 pmPosts: 1006Location: chicago, il
peabe wrote:
walking into hell.

I would say the temperature is more like the opposite of hell.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 7:28 pm
User avatarRoto AdminJoined: Wed Dec 08, 2004 6:09 pmPosts: 7028Location: Chicago, IL
January in Chicago is cold....average high is 21 F. That's the coldest average of any month for Chicago...and with an average snowfall of over 10" it's also the snowiest.

http://www.cityrating.com/cityweather.asp?City=Chicago
http://home.att.net/~chicago_climo/chimsnow.jpg

So....if you like cold and snow, bring it on!

In terms of safety, I wouldn't worry about the roads in and around Chicago as much as I'd worry about the rest of your route here. Chicago cleans it's roads really well, but I don't know how well Indiana cleans it's interstates...and there's always a chance of a snowstorm.

Toy Wrangler/Gallery Director @ Rotofugi Designer Toy Store & Gallery > Chicago
http://rotofugi.com
Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 6:31 am
User avatarRoto ConsigliereRoto ConsigliereJoined: Sat Nov 19, 2005 1:54 amPosts: 1886Location: Chicago
I think todays weather was worst than any January day, 34 and raining. Oh yeah long underwear, I get mine at sierratradingpost, wool are the best incase it's 34 and raining. I was dressed warmly, Covert jacket and down vest, but I had on cotton pants, and no long underwear. Sucked! Luckly the train station had one of those hand dryers and I dried myself off mostly, when I came out of the bathroom I got some weird looks, but some of the looks came from people that could have used 10 rounds of hand dryer.

Dyspeptic Ross Sparrow
Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:18 am
User avatarRoto FriendJoined: Tue Aug 28, 2007 6:07 pmPosts: 125Location: 60657
34 and rainy is no fun at all, but it is welcomed compared to the blistering -17 degree weather that happens during the dreadful month of January. I am just glad I am going to be visiting my family in Texas for about half the month.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 5:59 am
User avatarJoined: Wed Apr 11, 2007 5:46 pmPosts: 23Location: Atlanta, GA
Thanks for the input everyone. Me and my friends are now well aware of the brutal weather now, but are still up for the adventure. Hope I get a chance to stop by Rotofugi. :)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 4:23 pm
User avatarRoto ConsigliereRoto ConsigliereJoined: Fri Feb 18, 2005 3:57 pmPosts: 1430Location: Chicago, IL
I'm riding my bicycle to work today?!?! :)

I won't when it starts snowing though, that would almost be like riding in sand, (except wetter and cold).

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:58 pm
User avatarRoto ConsigliereRoto ConsigliereJoined: Sun Dec 05, 2004 4:05 pmPosts: 1055Location: chicago
im homesick.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 7:47 pm
LoneCub wrote:

I won't when it starts snowing though, that would almost be like riding in sand, (except wetter and cold).

I ride my bike all winter, I just don't like ice, plus wind kinda sucks.

Dyspeptic Ross Sparrow
Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 8:46 pm
User avatarRoto ConsigliereRoto ConsigliereJoined: Fri Feb 18, 2005 3:57 pmPosts: 1430Location: Chicago, IL
iccdp wrote:
LoneCub wrote:

I ride my bike all winter, I just don't like ice, plus wind kinda sucks.

What kind of shoes do you wear or do you have cleats?

Offline Profile