<  Ask Rotofugi  ~  Any Display tips? Hints? Cheats?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 6:41 pm
Hey there, was just anyone if you, or anyone has any displaying "tips or tricks" if you get me. Been collecting for about 3-4 years and even though my collection isn't the biggest, i still love it. :)

I got really bored from just "one platform" of toys, so i wanted to elevate them and give'em a different look. What other way than Kiddie blocks?

Right View:

Left View:

The two Kings on top!

And finally the desk.
(Notice the kick-ass sticker and website :p )

As you can see, pretty big Kozik Fan. Was also considering putitng the boxes into the whole display. If anyone has any suggestions, comments, or anything, would be apppreciated.

Thanks! :D

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:51 am
User avatarJoined: Thu Sep 03, 2009 1:21 pmPosts: 12
I have no advice on how to make that more slick. That is a great display. The blocks are a very cool idea, and I like seeing figures among books and other things on a shelf like that. It seems to add a lot of individuality to a collection to see a persons books in the shot.

This is a cool idea for a thread. I love looking at peoples collections. Pretty much the only reason I browse flickr.

My set up is fairly lackluster, I have only been collecting for about a year. I would also love any tips. There are a few more figures coming in the mail right now, and space is becoming a concern. What kind of things do people use for elevation?

I am thinking of getting rid of some of the clutter figures. The Tron toys obviously do not belong, and I might put away the green and black Master Chief Kubricks. I really love the funner more vibrant colors, and I think I have too much dark going on, and a lot of the dark stuff does not even really have to be displayed.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:58 am
Haha, thanks for the Slick comment there. 8)

Even though you have been collecting for abotu a year, it's still a pretty good collection. Considering it is mostly Japanese vinyl. I think as my collection grows i will eventually, "Out grow" good ol' Kozik and move onto some japanese stuff.

As your display goes, just display on how you think is right and what looks kick-ass. I've had mine for about 6 months now, which is a long time for me, and have grown bored with it.

Haha :p

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:58 pm
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:11 pmPosts: 5Location: chicago and ashland
i have my dunny endangered series on a a clear plastic spice rack from the container store

its pretty much just a tiny set of steps. Image

ive also got some $30 glass wall shelves from home depot, and ikea has glass display cases of like 50$ and 20$ for the led light.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:20 pm
User avatarRoto AdminJoined: Wed Dec 08, 2004 6:09 pmPosts: 7028Location: Chicago, IL
Like Frank already said, the blocks are actually a pretty awesome solution.

If you're looking for something a little more polished maybe check out acrylic risers.

The spice rack solution is relatively cheap, and they (Container Store) also have acrylic boxes meant for storing baseballs that are pretty inexpensive...I take those, slide it apart and *voila* you've got two risers for $1.50 each.

http://www.containerstore.com/browse/Pr ... ODID=60168

Or if you wanna go all out get the real deal...I've heard a lot of people mention this eBay store as good peeps with good prices:

http://stores.shop.ebay.com/Laser-Creat ... QQ_armrsZ1

Finally, if you wanna get super fancy or get something custom made, we've used these guys before and they were great to work with:

http://www.peasepedestals.com/index.html

Toy Wrangler/Gallery Director @ Rotofugi Designer Toy Store & Gallery > Chicago
http://rotofugi.com
Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:35 pm
Aw man, these are awesome! Haha, i think i'll pick up a couple of those boxes from The Container Store.

Thanks everyone for your input! :D

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:20 pm
User avatarRoto HelperJoined: Tue Feb 15, 2005 12:34 amPosts: 157Location: chicago
Our new apartment has really weird, but nice, built-in glass shelves that we're using for just toys (and my 60s toy accordion collection, heh heh). The shelves are actually a major part of why I picked the apartment out! So if we ever finish unpacking, I'll post pics here or in the toy collection thread.

I first learned about all things Container Store (acrylic risers; museum putty) from the fine Rotofugi folks, but I'd actually like to start shadowboxing some of my nicest things -- including a super-rare Atari 2600 cartridge...

Offline Profile